I want to run for Vancouver School Board to build a just and inclusive school system where all our children can be happy and successful.
Kera knows the challenges and opportunities facing the education sector, and is passionate about ensuring we have inclusive schools that properly support vulnerable children and diverse learners. Kera has spent 12 years in the education sector, working in various administrative positions at the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University. In these roles, she developed knowledge and understanding of education policy, governance, finance, and infrastructure development.
Kera has a long history in progressive politics in Vancouver, going back to when she first moved to to the city in the mid-1990s. Kera is the mother of two and the treasurer of her parent advisory committee (PAC). For six years, she served on the board of a non-profit that provides service for youth facing significant challenges. As someone who went through school with undiagnosed learning disabilities, Kera also understands how tough school can be for children with learning differences.
Key priorities for Kera as a School Board Trustee include:
- Advocating for increased operational funding in order to ensure we have a resilient school system where all children can thrive;
- Ensuring adequate funding to support diverse learners;
- Developing strategies to recruit and retain teachers and staff;
- School renewal and infrastructure upgrades; and,
- Decolonization, Indigenization and Reconciliation.