“A vote for Vision Vancouver for mayor and council is a vote to make Vancouver’s top transportation priority for the next four years"
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Trudeau stood alongside Mayor Gregor Robertson and Premier John Horgan to officially announce the funding for the Broadway Subway to Arbutus.
It was a thrilling moment for everyone from the Vision family who have campaigned so long and hard to make this project happen.
But while we celebrate that success, Chief Ian Campbell and the new team of Vision Candidates are thinking about what’s next – finishing the Broadway Subway all the way to the UBC campus.
“A vote for Vision Vancouver for mayor and council is a vote to make Vancouver’s top transportation priority for the next four years extending Broadway Subway all the way out to UBC,” says Chief Ian Campbell. “The Subway needs to go all the way out to UBC so Vancouver’s biggest post-secondary institution connects with the Broadway Corridor - the second biggest jobs hub in the province.”
Finishing the Broadway Subway will help thousands of students, workers and city residents beat congestion by getting out of their cars and taking clean green transit.
As Mayor, Vision Vancouver’s Chief Ian Campbell will take the following actions to lay the groundwork for getting the Broadway Subway built out to UBC:
- Immediately initiate a third-party economic impact study of building the Subway all the way out to UBC, to bolster the case for senor government funding in advance of the 2019 federal election;
- During the next Council term, extend the City’s Broadway Corridor planning process (currently underway) to go all the way west to UBC;
- Personally champion a City-led, multi-stakeholder coalition of business, labour, non-profits, students and local residents to champion the project heading into the 2019 Federal election and beyond;
- Fully support Phase 3 of the Mayors’ Council 10-year Vision and work with Metro Mayors to begin planning the next 10-year plan for the Metro region; and
- Work with TransLink and city transportation staff to enhance the existing bus service to UBC to move towards Bus Rapid Transit quality, to support transit riders in the near term.
“It is absolutely critical that the next Mayor of Vancouver is firmly committed to getting the Subway built out to UBC - we can’t have someone who will waffle or doesn’t know where they stand,” added Campbell. “We have Provincial and Federal Governments that are making transit investment a priority. UBC President Santa Ono says UBC will pay its fair share and contribute financially to making the Subway extension happen. The next four years are a huge opportunity for our city.
Ian Campbell was the lead negotiator with the Squamish Nation for 20 years. He has the experience working with senior levels of government to make complicated deals happen.
Wanna get the Broadway Subway finished to UBC?